The Atlanta Police Department is urging citizens to be prepared for Downtown construction projects and lane closures. The street closures are related to the Georgia Department of Transportation’s project to replace the Spring Street bridge over the CSX railroad.
On Saturday and Sunday, Centennial Olympic Park Drive will be closed as city crews re-stripe and prepare the street for two-way access. During the re-striping, Spring Street will remain open. On Monday, Centennial Olympic Park Drive will re-open as a two-way street.
Additional Downtown road closures are scheduled to begin Tuesday, Sept. 2. Spring Street between Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Marietta Street will be closed until further notice. See the graphic above for detour routes.
This weekend will also bring a variety of sporting events, festivals, graduations and other happenings to the area. Residents should plan ahead for road closures and increased vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
Additionally, anyone traveling to any of the events by car should remember to adhere to the Clean Car Campaign by removing all valuables prior to exiting their vehicle. Officers routinely respond to reports of GPS units, tablet computers, purses, firearms and other valuables stolen from unattended vehicles. Leave these items at home, or take them with you to avoid becoming a victim of this preventable crime. Citizens should park in designated areas and take MARTA to avoid traffic delays.
The Atlanta Police Department is prepared for increased activity and will have both on and off-duty personnel available to assist with traffic and security issues.
Weekend events (partial list)
• Atlanta’s Finest 5k, Pemberton Place, Downtown Atlanta, August 23, 7:30 – 9:00 am
• College Football Hall of Fame and Chick-Fil-A Fan Experience, Downtown Atlanta, August 23, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
• Atlanta Falcons vs. Tennessee Titans, Downtown Atlanta, August 23, 7:00 pm – 11:30 pm
• German Bierfest, Woodruff Park, August 23, 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm
• Festival Peachtree Latino 2014, Piedmont Park, August 23-24
• 2014 Grant Park Summer Shade Festival, Grant Park, August 23 – 24