March 1, 1992: Georgia Women of Achievement (GWA) held its first induction ceremony at Wesleyan College in Macon. Recognizing women’s vital role in Georgia’s history, First Lady Rosalyn Carter was honored for creating the concept in 1988. During the past 21 years, the program has recognized 77 honorees. Here is a list of the GWA that left indelible footprints on Atlanta’s history: Nellie Peters Black (1851-1919); Selena Sloan Butler (1872-1964); Margaret O. Bynum (1921-1982); Rebecca Latimer Felton (1835-1930); Grace Towns Hamilton (1907-1992); Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans (1872-1953); Corra White Harris (1869-1935); Julia Collier Harris (1885-1967); Laura Askew Haygood (1845-1900); Lugenia Burns Hope (1871-1947); Rhoda Kaufman (1888-1956); Carrie Steele Logan (1829-1900); Helen Douglas Mankin (1894-1956); Lula Dobbs McEachern (1874-1949); Margaret Mitchell (1900-1949); and Leila Ross Wilburn (1885-1967). The honorees for 2013 are Henrietta Stanley Dull (1863-1964); Mary Gregory Jewett (1908-1976) and Lollie Belle Wylie (1858-1923). For more on the ladies contributions and stories, visit georgiawomen.org.
March 7, 1914: Playwright Lollie Belle Wylie’s prizing winning one-act play, The Golden Goose, premiered at the Lyric Theater at Carnegie Way. The setting of Wylie’s farce was the new Ponce DeLeon Apartments, then at 555 Peachtree Street. On March 14, 2013 Lollie Belle Wylie will be recognized as a Georgia Woman of Achievement.
March 16, 1913: Nine movie theaters opened their doors on Sunday for the first time. Community leaders held mixed opinions on the issue. The Chamber of Commerce was in favor because the lack of Sunday entertainment was hurting business. That Sunday afternoon, over 44,000 attended performances at the motion picture houses. Atlanta Police Chief James L. Beavers toured the popular 5 cent theaters along Peachtree and Whitehall streets – Alcazar, Alamo, Bonita, Lyric, Majestic, Montgomery, Orpheum, Savoy and Vaudette. On Monday, a few church- goers reported that the movies did not interfere with their Sunday worship.
March 19, 1858: The Atlanta City Council passed an ordinance prescribing severe penalty for defacing tombstones in the Atlanta City Cemetery, now known as Oakland Cemetery.
March 24, 1948: Georgia Tech opened its doors to engineering minded women for the first time since its founding in 1885. The courses at the school’s technical institute prepared them for jobs as foremen, supervisors and engineering aides at annual salaries ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 and up. By April 1952, in a close 7-5 vote the Georgia Board of Regents approved the admission of women to all of Tech’s engineering and architectural schools. The first two female students accepted for admission to Tech’s regular school were Elizabeth Herndon, a World War II widow, and Diane Michel, a Texan with ambition to be an engineer.
March 25, 1932: Changing the community of Buckhead’s name to something more highfalutin again became an issue. Six years earlier, a large group of Buckhead citizens petitioned the Fulton County Commissioner to change the name to “Northwood.” Luckily, the attempts to change the name all failed. Buckhead was created in1838, when South Carolinian Henry Irby and wife, Georgia native Sardis Walraven, bought and settled on 202-plus acres of land around the present Peachtree, Roswell and West Paces Ferry roads. Buckhead (Atlanta) will celebrate 175th anniversary on March 1 at the Buckhead Theater. For more about the event, visit buckheadheritage.com.