John Coleman, who was appointed to the DeKalb school board by the governor last year, has decided not to seek election to the board.
Coleman was among six people appointed by Gov. Nathan Deal in March to replace board members Deal suspended from office after the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, an accrediting agency, put the district’s accreditation on probation. The agency criticized the board for meddling improperly in school affairs and for financial mismanagement.
In a letter to the board’s chairman dated Feb. 2, Coleman said he had decided not to run for the seat.
“I have been honored to represent the residents of DeKalb and to work on behalf of the students in our schools,” Coleman wrote. “I believe we have accomplished a great deal over the past year – improving the financial and operational health of the system, reforming our governance policies,
drafting a new strategy for the future, and working with staff and community members to restore trust.
“Despite this progress, there is much work to do, and I look forward to dedicating myself fully to
continued reforms and improvements over the course of the coming year.”
Coleman said he felt “confident” that qualified candidates would be found to run for the board. “I trust the residents of our county will use this election to select leaders who will commit themselves to improving outcomes for students across the system,” he wrote.